Saturday, March 2, 2013

Kissing a Fool


Well -not literally J!! Sorry to disappoint!

This actually refers to one of my favorite romantic songs- though when you think of it- it is more melancholy, than romantic so maybe we should call it favorite "slow" songs- as in " it's a slow number- for slow dancing!!!"
In the eighties  Wham!  was one of the favorites groups with" wake me up" and "Last Christmas"- both of which I still love. BTW- Last Christmas was the George Michael's first single even though it was part of a Wham album.

Enjoy!


Then - I guess George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley broke up. But I think George Michael's music became better.

His first album Faith (1987) had 6 single releases with 'Faith' and 'Father Figure' as the most popular followed by 'I want your sex' ( I remember being so scandalized at the lyrics- but then I was a pre-teen!!). 

This is live performance of Faith- most of his solo videos aren't easily available on youtube






This is link (that will only work on a computer) for the original video of Faith- it's very good



BUT the hidden gem of this album is "Kissing a fool" . It is ballad with no electrics- an empty bar with a band practicing- 3 in the group. The song was apparently about George's insecurities as a soul mate and partner because of the baggage and reputation. According to George Michael the vocals were recorded acappella in one take. ( this Para is mostly quoted from Wiki)

Actually the working title for the album had been "Kissing a fool" which I hope means that George Michael thought it was the best track in it too!

I remember I first noticed this song when it came on Mtv. The visual is stunning in it's simplicity. It has George Michael in a white button down shirt and black pants sitting on a bar stool playing the guitar- singing his heart out- and frankly he doesn't look like he is acting.

Do take a look- again- couldn't find a good video- they also keep removing the links- so just google the video . These sare some links- Can't seem to embed them!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1zzk5_george-michael-kissing-a-fool_music

http://www.guavaleaf.com/video/3822/George-Michael--Kissing-A-Fool#sthash.fsEkDqYF.dpbs



Lyrics
You are far,
When I could have been your star,
You listened to people,
Who scared you to death and from my heart,
Strange that you were strong enough,
To even make a start,
But you'll never find
Peace of mind,
Till you listen to your heart

People,
You can never change the way they feel,
Better let them do just what they will,
For they will,
If you let them,
Steal your heart from you,
People,
Will always make a lover feel a fool,
But you knew I loved you,
We could have shown them all,
We should have seen love through

Fooled me with the tears in your eyes,
Covered me with kisses and lies,
So goodbye,
But please don't take my heart

You are far,
I'm never gonna be your star,
I'll pick up the pieces
And mend my heart,
Maybe I'll be strong enough,
I don't know where to start,
But I'll never find
Peace of mind,
While I listen to my heart

People,
You can never change the way they feel,
Better let them do just what they will,
For they will,
If you let them,
Steal your heart

And people,
Will always make a lover feel a fool,
But you knew I loved you,
We could have shown them all

But remember this,
Every other kiss,
That you ever give
Long as we both live
When you need the hand of another man,
One you really can surrender with,
I will wait for you,
Like I always do,
There's something there,
That can't compare with any other

You are far,
When I could have been your star,
You listened to people,
Who scared you to death and from my heart,
Strange that I was wrong enough,
To think you'd love me too.
I guess you were kissing a fool,
You must have been kissing a fool



George Michael is so talented, famous and good looking. Yet he has had a life fraught with issues - mostly stemming from his sexuality. He was born is an era when people weren't open about being gay. But for him it was apparently more about keeping it from his mom than anyone else. His siblings knew, but they too felt she shouldn’t know.

Now what kind of mom is that- who would love a child so conditionally or is it their relation?

So should one be able to be open about who one is even if it is unacceptable to society?  Or should you respect the  norms of Society? No clear answer- or rather I think this is a very individual decision.

Also AIDS was sort of "discovered" around then- and he had a scare when a committed partner of his realized 6 months into the relation that he had AIDS. The partner also soon died from complications related to it.

But I think he has become much more comfortable about who he is and frankly I think we should also try to be comfortable with who we are and embrace it (unless of course you are a serial killer or something else horrible- please suppress it in that case J)

No comments: